Category: Swap Force
Quote: IDW Publishing
In conjunction with Activision, IDW Publishing is proud to announce the first-ever Skylanders comic-book series, penned by renowned comic-book writer Ron Marz, and Mike Bowden and David Baldeon as lead artists. In the world of video games, Skylanders is a global phenomenon and the best-selling kids' game franchise since its launch in 2011. Now fans have the opportunity to follow the adventures of all their favorite characters from Skylands through the magic of comic books.
The videogame sensation is making the leap to the pages of comics this July, debuting at Comic-Con International: San Diego 2014. Skylanders #0 features an introductory 16-page story as well as character guides and additional back-up information. The issue will be launched in both print and digital during SDCC weekend.
The writer, Ron Marz, has previously written for Skylanders Swap Force. For an exact date this year's San Diego Comic-Con runs July 24th-27th.
In toy news, Kickoff Countdown has been given a solid release date, it's due out this Sunday at Toys R Us stores in the US and at "retailers worldwide the following week". The final Swapper, Doom Stone, was also released this week in the US and the UK.
Kickoff Countdown is an in-game variant who will appear exactly as the toy looks when you play with him. He also unlocks a special hat for your collection. Doom Stone's release means that it is finally possible to make all of the 256 different combinations, something that forum member GameMaster78 has really taken to heart.
And now another round-up for the Android and iOS game Skylanders Lost Islands where they've made May a Life themed month.
- April 21: Springtime Trigger Happy became available without the toy. Beatrees began collecting from the Sheep Topiaries in addition to the Energy Fields she usually does.
- May 1: Brand new Alter Ego "Builda Grilla Drilla" arrived in the Wishin' Well.
- May 6: A long timed quest to earn an upgraded Life Sanctuary, the "Life Sanctum", began and a new tiny island, "Sugarbat Island", appeared. At level 43 you can buy the island for 35 million coins.
- May 12: A new feature was added, now plants will randomly grow on your islands. You can spend gold to clear them away and they'll sometimes drop gems or energy along with their regular kingdom xp. And Punk Shock was added to the store along with a permanent way to add any Skylander by their code.
To capture a villain in Trap Team you must first defeat them, once you've done that you place a Traptanium Trap (with an element matching the villain) in the slot on the new Traptanium Portal and the villain is yours. You can then summon that villain back into the game at will and play as them on your own side in the fight against evil.
According to the story of Trap Team Kaos has discovered the location of Cloudcracker Prison and has blown it up to free the nefarious baddies housed within, he's done this to use them as his own personal army to takeover Skylands. It's up to the Portal Masters to find the Traptanium Traps that had previously made up the prison in order to recapture the villains and save Skylands from Kaos' evil plans once again.
Snap Shot, Food Fight
There will be sixteen brand new Trap Master Skylanders, these characters are slightly larger than the core Skylanders and wield mighty Traptanium weapons that help in the fight against the villains of Trap Team. The Trap Masters can also find Traptanium shards as well as enter Traptanium zones to find hidden villains. There are also eighteen new core Skylanders, like Food Fight above, and more reposed returning favourites such as Gill Grunt and Shroomboom.
Traptanium Portal with Snap Shot and Life Hammer Trap
The new Traptanium Portal has a single slot for a Traptanium Trap and most notably also features its own speaker for the villains to talk to you through giving you a greater sense that the villain you've captured has really been brought out of the game and into this world.
Water Tiki Trap, Life Hammer Trap
A box of fifteen different styles of Traptanium Traps was seen in the trailer below, each one has an element assigned to it which means that you can only capture specific villains with each Trap. So for example if you're facing the Tech villain troll duo that makes up Shrednaught you'll need a Tech Trap to capture them. You will be able to house multiple villains in each Trap so despite a reported total of 40 villains in Trap Team you won't quite need that many Traps to catch 'em all.
The Starter Pack comes with the Trap Master Skylander Snap Shot, the core Skylander Food Fight, the Water Tiki Trap, the Life Hammer Trap, the new Traptanium Portal as well as the usual stickers, cards and poster that you'd expect.
Trap Team is once again being developed by Toys for Bob, the original developers of Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure and Skylanders: Giants. They will be handling the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii versions of the game while Beenox will be on the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U and Nintendo 3DS versions. The game is set for release on the 5th of October 2014 in North America, the 10th of October in Europe and the 2nd of October in Australia/New Zealand.
Many media outlets have articles and videos on the reveal including Game Informer, IGN, GameSpot, Joystiq, Kotaku, Engadget, Polygon, Games Radar, Forbes, The HD Room, Connected Digital World, Family Gamer TV, The Skylander Boy and Girl and Coin-Op.tv. We also have our own gallery full of images on this very site.
And lastly in Swap Force news, Toys R Us have emailed out a Hot Toy Alert for Lightcore Bumble Blast giving him a release date of this Saturday, the 26th of April. They'll also have various other offers on the day in store including one for a free Lightcore Hex figure when you buy a Swap Force Lightcore figure. Because everyone needs another Lightcore Hex.
Quote: Press Release
Activision Publishing, Inc. and Toys"R"Us are giving fans the rare opportunity to receive a complimentary Skylanders toy at a special Toys"R"Us Times Square event celebrating Skylanders Day! Before the final Skylanders SWAP Force character, Doom Stone, is released to the public, the first 500 Portal Masters to line up at The World's Greatest Toy Store on Wednesday, April 23, will be among the first to get their hands on this must-have figure.
Fans attending the event will get the chance to meet Skylanders costumed characters, experience the bestselling kids' videogame franchise at in-store gaming kiosks and receive other fun Skylanders giveaways.
Last year had a similar event with Ninjini at the time of the reveal of Swap Force and saw the regular release of Ninjini around a month later, which hopefully bodes well for those of us who can't make it to New York.
A listing for one of the two remaining alt-deco figures from Swap Force, Kickoff Countdown, has been spotted on a couple of European Amazon websites along with a few different release dates including the 14th of May.
Target in Australia are giving away 25 limited edition flocked Springtime Trigger Happy toys. To be eligible to enter you must spend $30 or more on Swap Force gaming products, you then need to answer the question "Why would you like to add Limited Edition Trigger Happy to your Skylanders collection?" in 25 words or less and the best 25 answers will win the figure. The promo runs until the 30th of April.
And Skylanders Lost Islands has been getting into the update spirit again over the past few weeks with things like an increased level cap, new islands and a new companion.
- March 17: Fryno and Scratch became available for purchase with gems or using the Skylander spinner.
- March 24: A new Adventure Clock building that lets you instantly finish all active Adventure Balloons. The building costs 500 Gems, you can use it once every 24 hours and it costs 250 Energy per active balloon.
- April 1: The kingdom level cap was raised from 40 to 45 and a new small island called "Sheep Island" now becomes available for purchase at level 41, it'll cost 25 million coins once you're there.
- April 7: A visual upgrade to the Summoning Stone. It costs 15 million coins and ups the amount you get from Orville each day to 2,500 coins.
- April 14: New companion Willowbark who costs 200 Gems and doubles the XP bonus effect of your decorations. And another small island called "Troll Island" that becomes available for purchase at level 42 for a sum of 30 million coins.
And Enchanted Star Strike is also now beginning to turn up exclusively at US Walmarts.
In Canada there have been sightings of Freeze Blade and Trap Shadow at EBGames. Again this won't be an exclusive.
And, provided the date holds this time, the UK will see release of the special Spring Edition packaged Springtime Trigger Happy, Punk Shock and Fryno this Friday as well as Enchanted Star Strike, who will be exclusive to GAME.
In their first content update of the year Skylanders: Lost Islands adds a new companion and a couple of new Skylanders.
- The Chieftess is a brand new (or, rather, old) companion, just like Hyde and Maboo you need to find her wandering around your kingdom each day in order to tap on her, she'll give you a load of coins for doing so. You'll need to spend 200 Wishstones to get her.
- Two new swappable Skylanders, Freeze Blade and Trap Shadow, have been added. You can buy them for 300 Gems each or take a spin (remember that you get Gem refunds if you use the toy later but not coin refunds from spins).
Once you've entered your details you'll be asked to name one of the three and to give some background on the Skylander, who they are, why they've got that name and why you chose to name them.
You're not limited to just naming one though, you can name all of the characters and can even submit different names and backgrounds for the same Skylander. Take care not to submit the exact same name for the same character more than once though.
The competition is only open to residents of the United States who are 18 years or older, if you're not old enough then perhaps try getting an older relative to help.
You've got a little bit of thinking time but don't take too long as you only have until March the 21st at 11:59:59 AM Central Time to submit your entries before the competition closes.
The finalists for each Skylander (as decided by the judges) will be revealed around April 21st and then from the 19th of May to the 12th of June online voting will be run to select the best of the three names to win the grand prize of "a $100,000 scholarship in the form of a check" as well as to make the name official. The other two finalists don't go away empty handed though and will each get a "Skylanders prize package" with an approximate retail value of $1000.
Although last week's Toy Fair didn't bring us a reveal of Skylanders 4 a few other possible new Skylanders were accidentally revealed by Mega Bloks in promo photographs of upcoming sets.
Due to the nature of the reveal it is unclear whether they are actually all playable characters (or even if any of them are) and no names were directly attributed to them.
Skylanders fans in the UK may be interested in the Skylanders SWAP Force Spectacular event that is currently running at the National Media Museum in Bradford. The event started on the 22nd of February but runs through half term to Sunday the 2nd of March so there's still time to go. It is free entry but you'll need to reserve your place in advance for a couple of the activities. Thanks to Skylanders Dad for spotting this one.
And finally, in Swap Force toy news, Enchanted Star Strike has been spotted in several Canadian Walmarts over the weekend.
Enchanted Star Strike is an in-game variant of Star Strike who also happens to be LightCore. She'll be exclusive to Walmart in the US much like Enchanted Hoot Loop.
These look to be arriving two weeks before the Easter themed packs, although in the UK Amazon have given those three a release date of the 7th of March.
Frito-Lay are gearing up to launch a new Skylanders promotion, this time instead of simply winning a toy Skylander you'll get the chance to actually name one. There'll be a choice of three Skylanders who are each in desperate need of a name, the grand prize for the best name is a $100,000 scholarship. The promotion is due to start on the 24th of February.
And some perhaps disappointing news on the next game announcement front, GamerHub.tv have posted a short interview with Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg where he seems to confirm that they won't be announcing a new Skylanders game at Toy Fair this year, instead waiting for "later in the year" to reveal it. So it's still coming this year and still being made by Toys For Bob but we'll have to wait a bit longer to find out what it is going to be.
Springtime Trigger Happy is an in-game variant, much like Jolly Bumble Blast, who not only looks different to the regular Big Bang Trigger Happy but he will also unlock the Springtime Hat in your collection once you place him on the Portal of Power.
With the annual American International Toy Fair happening on the 16th-19th of February we should be expecting news of the next entry to the Skylanders series any day now.
Curse are exclusively giving away half a million beta keys for The Elder Scrolls Online. Curse Premium members can get access to the keys today and everyone else from tomorrow (the 6th). The giveaway and beta period only lasts until the 10th of February so act quick!
Dune Bug, Smolderdash
Phantom Cynder, Hyper Beam Prism Break, Horn Blast Whirlwind
Here's what makes up the rest of Wave 3, they're not quite yet available in the US but are already available in some other countries like Germany and Italy.
Lightcore Countdown, Lightcore Wham-Shell
Rubble Rouser, Spy Rise, Stink Bomb
Sheep Wreck Island
Hyper Beam Prism Break, Horn Blast Whirlwind, Rip Tide
Dune Bug, Phantom Cynder, Knockout Terrafin
The winners of the Frito-Lay sweepstakes for Quickdraw Rattle Shake are starting to report receiving their prizes so be on the lookout for it if you've won one (or more).
In other Wave 3 news, today saw the introduction of the five new Wave 3 characters in Skylanders Lost Islands, you can now get Rubble Rouser, Stink Bomb, Spy Rise, Dune Bug and Wind-Up in the game, which means that at long last it is possible to match the Earth element Sugarbats. Last Friday saw a specially squeezed in Christmas update for the game as well:
- Jolly Bumble Blast makes his festive debut. It'll be 250 Gems if you don't have the toy.
- A new SWAP Force House has been added, buy them for 350 Gems to put your SWAP Force characters in for the chance to earn Gold, Gems, Energy or Kingdom XP.
- Another new companion, Fiznik, he'll double the Kingdom XP you get for the rather pricey sum of 3000 Gems.
And earlier last week they posted the regular Monday update.
- New companion Diggs who you can use to trade in large amounts of Gold and Energy for Gems once a day. He'll cost you 2000 Gems but is said to be only available until January 1st.
- The Legendary Skylanders are here, all four of the new Legendaries from SWAP Force have been added. That's Legendary Night Shift, Legendary Free Ranger, Legendary Grim Creeper and Legendary Zoo Lou.
- A new system has been added so that Kingdom XP is still moderately useful after reaching the maximum kingdom level of 40. Your bar will again start to fill up as you gather it and will eventually give you some bonus gems and wish stones as a reward.
The Skylanders Collection Vault also recently saw an update which allows you to now add characters to your collection even if you don't have their webcode.
The festive themed Jolly Bumble Blast has been given a release date, according to GameStop it's due out on the 7th of December in the US, Best Buy have it listed for the 8th.
The recently Androidified Skylanders: Lost Islands has seen another of its weekly updates, since Thanksgiving is this week in the US it's the Week of the Bird!
- A new Bird House for your "Bird" Skylanders, they'll cost you 200 Gems each. Only available until Sunday!
- During the Week of the Bird all of your Bird Skylanders will get double gold.
- On Friday morning all Skylanders will be 80% off, it runs from 4AM to 12PM so try to get on early if you want to buy one.
- December's new Alter Ego is going to appear in the Wishin' Well on Sunday so make sure to have won Birthday Bash by then!
The Dark Days event in the still-iOS-exclusive Skylanders: Lost Islands has concluded and a new companion has arrived.
- New companion Marshal Wheellock from Skylanders: Swap Force has joined in, he doubles the Hero Points you get but'll cost 900 Gems.
- If you don't have the toy then fear not, Volcanic Eruptor can now be bought for 250 Gems.
- This week's Super Tuesday has brought back all of the Giant and Sidekick Houses for one day only.
- And last Friday saw the release of Birthday Bash, the new Alter Ego for November. Win him in the Wishin' Well all month.
And the Frito-Lay sweepstakes for Quickdraw Rattle Shake has officially begun, albeit with a bit of a rocky start.
Last week saw the long quiet Skylanders: Battlegrounds finally get an update, it added the third chapter at last as well as implementing the new Swap Force characters.
Just a small update to Skylanders: Lost Islands this week.
- Dark Stealth Elf and Dark Blast Zone are now purchasable in game. They cost 200 and 300 Gems.
- A new house, Dark House, houses any of the Dark Skylanders in the same way the Dragon Lair houses dragons. It'll cost you the same 1200 Gems though.
Remember that November's alter ego will be appearing on Friday but that also means that Thursday is your last chance to get Skeletal Cynder before she disappears from the Wishin' Well.
Boom Jet, Fire Kraken
Grilla Drilla, Night Shift
Rip Tide, Scorp
Star Strike, Twin Blade Chop Chop
Anchors Away Gill Grunt, Knockout Terrafin
Big Bang Trigger Happy, Heavy Duty Sprocket
Some have reported finding them already at Toys R Us and Sam's Club and that quantities may initially be more limited than that of Wave 1.
The method to get the glow-in-the-dark Rattle Shake variant "Quickdraw Rattle Shake" has been revealed. The toy will be given away by Frito-Lay in much the same manner as their current Fright Rider sweepstakes. It starts at the beginning of November so look for the specially marked packs in US stores soon.
Quote: Joystiq - 4.5 Stars
It's easy to think of Skylanders' collectible figure component as a cynical cash-grab, but in practice it meshes well with the series' beat-'em-up gameplay.
Quote: Forbes - 9/10
In fact, at almost every turn Skylanders Swap Force seems intent on over-delivering both features and fun. Playing the game with (my) children who are more than a little Skylanders saturated there was still a sense of surprise and excitement. The Swap Force figures caused the biggest buzz, both in and out of the game.
Quote: Venture Beat - 90/100
While the inclusion of the jump button certainly makes for more varied gameplay, it also may add more challenge for the younger gamers in your household. Many of these leaps require good timing and placement (lining up at the very edge of a gap), and the bosses have some particularly damaging ground attacks that quickly exhaust the health of your Skylander if you don’t hop over them at just the right time.
Quote: Metro - 9/10
The game’s combat is still relatively simplistic, but the variety of abilities and attacks - and the ability to chop and change them at will - does encourage kids to think about what they’re doing a lot more than any combo system or other traditional contrivance would have. And you can now at least jump, which may sound like an odd thing to celebrate but it again shows the franchise stepping back from the enforced simplicity of the earlier games.
Quote: Game Informer - 8.50
No matter what bizarre creature you craft, Skylanders: Swap Force handles the empowerment of playing god convincingly. The amalgamated beasts that now roam Skylands open up new combat and traversal possibilities, and also add another much-needed wrinkle to this series’ well-worn gameplay formula.
Quote: Gaming Trend - 85
But what about the game? Yes, well, much like the toys, the game is aimed squarely at kids in Elementary school - that isn’t to say an adult can’t have fun with it, but expect it to be a kid’s ride. The game certainly contains mild cartoon violence, but it’s not something I would be uncomfortable in having a child play.
Quote: Destructoid - 8.5/10
Not only do the new Swap Force toys and in-game models have a ton of detail (Wash Buckler's squid legs are a highlight), but it also allows an unprecedented amount of customization as you search for your favorite playstyle.
Quote: IGN - 8.2
Skylanders Swap Force delivers almost everything fans could want. There are fantastic new characters, a funny story, and a complete disregard for the boring rules that say robots and wizards shouldn't be part of the same world.
Quote: Games Radar - 4 Stars
While the narrative sticks to a simplistic stop-the-bad-guy's-evil-plot theme, the cutscenes have gotten a noticeable upgrade in quality. The CGI scenes and voice acting on par some of the best computer animated cartoons you might see on a Saturday morning and the leading characters, like Flynn and Tessa, are charming and humorous.
Quote: Official Xbox Magazine - 7.5
Developer Vicarious Visions did a fantastic job crafting a tightly-knit, varied adventure in which you'll - just for starters - sneak past alarms disguised as a sheep, sniff out a full list of goofball collectibles, and take out a wide range of foes. With a seemingly endless number of things to see and do, this is no quick jaunt.
Quote: Kotaku - Yes
Each Swap Force character also has a travel power that unlocks mini-game challenges scattered through the story levels, and two of those are absent from the launch lineup. Puzzling.
The reviews for the 3DS version of the game were a little more mixed.
Quote: Gaming Trend - 82
My recommendation? If you’re into Skylanders, or your kids are, this one is a no-brainer. It’s a fantastic supplement to any existing Skylanders game as it adds value to your collection of toys.
Quote: IGN - 7.1
Skylanders Swap Force for the 3DS is a fun but short addition to the franchise. It's an acceptable substitute to the console experience, mostly on the strength of its interesting villain and original story.
Quote: Nintendo World Report - 6
While each level does consist of plenty of platforming and combat, nothing other than the variety of Skylander skills makes a remarkable impression. The platforming, while enough to not bore adult gamers, becomes rather repetitive as jumping is the only real mechanic.
Quote: Financial Post - 5.5/10
The missions are a lot shorter - around only 15 minutes each as opposed to the hour-long quests in the console versions - and Moneybone’s minions are even less cunning than those employed by Kaos, which is saying something (they basically just charge at you until destroyed).
To go with the launch of Swap Force, Skylanders: Lost Islands has an update on the App Store to bring in (nearly) all of the Wave 1 Swap Force Skylanders.
- The first wave of Swap Force characters has arrived. DO NOT USE THE PORTAL! The swappable characters cost 300 gems while the new cores cost 200 if you don't own the toys.
- You can now level your Skylanders up to 15. No new companion is required, they'll just start earning experience straight away.
- A new type of random enemy has appeared, the Evilized Sugarbats. They hover in the air between your islands and require use of a swappable Skylander to clear. You can swap the halves to try to match the two elements it asks for, each matching half gets you a bonus gem.
- Hyde has been updated to now also appear in other people's kingdoms.
- Just in the nick of time Barkley makes his debut and rounds out the Giants Sidekicks only days before Swap Force is due to be released. If you don't have the toy he'll cost you 300 Gems.
- The Scouts HQ provides a house for all of the boy Skylanders, complete with a 200 Gem price tag. The output is just like the Sky Cadettes HQ that the girl Skylanders got last week.
Last Friday the official Youtube channel posted the first in what looks to be the start of a series of weekly videos, the Skylanders Boomcast.
Skylanders Boomcast brings you the latest in Skylanders SWAP Force news. Host Zachary Gordon reveals the story behind the SWAP Force team and shares his favorite new combination when he swaps WASH BUCKLER with STINK BOMB to form: STINK BUCKLER! And Fryno makes a special appearance.
New Skylanders VIDEOS EVERY FRIDAY featuring the latest NEWS, TIPS & FAN ART of your favorite characters in Skylanders SWAP Force.