Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer, or as it's also known, Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage, was the second Spyro game to appear. And as with Spyro the Dragon, this was a PlayStation exclusive.
This second game in the original trilogy, takes Spyro from his home in the Dragon Realms, to a distant unknown land of Avalar. Here Spyro meets plenty of new friends as well as some enemies too. He also learns some brand new moves to boot.
Here's the official word on the story from the SpyrotheDragon.com website:
Far away, the bitter and twisted Ripto, a dinosaur-riding troublemaker, along with his henchmen Crush and Gulp, had taken control of the beautiful land of Avalar. Ripto was a classic example of the "Napoleon Complex" - a little guy who felt he must take on the world - frustrated, short tempered and spiteful. Having stolen a magic sceptre, he was using his new-found power to pick on everyone and generally spoil the peace and quiet of Avalar. He was making life miserable with his magical spells...
All controls are the same whatever level you are in, and here they all are:
|X||Jump. Press again when in the air to glide.|
|Triangle||Look around in front of you/Stop glide (when gliding)|
|R1/L1||Spin camera Right/Left|
|R2/L2||Spin camera right/left|
|START||Access the pause menu|
|SELECT||View Gems, Lives, Kills and Collection|
|D-Pad/Left Analog Stick||Move around|
|L1+L2+R1+R2||Sparx will point at the closest gem|
|X then Triangle||Peform Headbash (Only works if you've bought the skill)|
The gems have changed a little from the previous game. They are now more shaped then before and one has been changed colour completely.
|Gem Colour||Gem Value|
They also now come in different containers. Flamable Baskets, Chargeable Vases, Exploding Vases, Unbreakable Chests, Headbash Chests and just lying about on the floor. You will no longer get gems from killing things as they will only release Spirit Particles now.
Here are a few things that you should know before playing this game:
- You are in a different world than in Spyro the Dragon, and as such, all the creatures you will meet are new
- When you kill something, no longer will it spew a gem, it will release a spirit particle. This life force can activate a powerup when you reach a certain number of kills in that level
- No more Dragon freeing, here you collect Talismen and Orbs
- All butterflies will now be eaten by Sparx, whether or not he's hungry
- There is now a special blue butterfly which both fully heals Sparx and gives Spyro an extra life
- You will be set many challenges in the game to earn the Orbs
- Due to this, the citizens of Avalar are a lot more talkative then anyone in the Dragon Realms
Now it's time to get started with the game:
All off-topic comments will be deleted. Please do not use the comments system for conversations, instead use the provided forums for the game.
Please login or register a forum account to post a comment.